Selected Blog: The Environmental Blog. Org
Topic: the Environment
1. In your opinion, what are the “best practices” when creating a blog to ensure appropriate form, function, and substance?
In my opinion and basing on the whole assignation of the week, there are several steps that should be included minimally in order to build a blog with an appropriate form, function and substance. The best ways to obtain an exceptional blog are:
- A blogger must define the topic in which will be concentrating the content.
- A blogger should define its goals and objectives for the blog (Rowse, 2014).
- A blog’s name should be appealing, prominent or different in order to be remembered.
- A blogger must pay attention to the audience’s needs. Establishing tools to determine what, when or how the information is delivered.
- A blogger should try to build a bond with the audience to ensure frequent visits.
- A blogger’s voice should reflect coherence over time.
- A blogger should provide content opportunely in order to keep the attractiveness to audiences; at least three times per week and also create ways to develop new content ideas.
- A blogger should provide an appealing blog, with media-rich form (Southern New Hampshire University, 2013) and deliver relevant and interesting information. The inclusion of the blog’s name, logo, the web host, and other features relating to the view and content’s images is necessary.
- A blogger should identify the ways to measure the blog; installing an application would help on this essential requirement.
- A blogger should link the blog with other information’s sources; also, installing social media sharing applications (DAILY BLOG TIPS, 2011) is useful.
- A blogger should take responsibilities of its publication; regardless if they are attached or not to a Code of Ethics.
- A blogger should invests time; should have repeated interaction; should remaina sensitive and interested in others person’s needs and experiences: and,should create unforgettable memories; in order to turn and maintain a read blog (Southern New Hampshire University, 2013).
- A blogger should write with passion and be itself (Rowse, 2014).
- A blogger should take time to analyzed its blog and other blogs in order to understand the audiences; including their needs, the market tendencies, and the continuous changes.
- A blogger should be aware and sure about the issues that are going to be revealed in its blog; it is important to avoid bias and misleading information.
- A blogger should select the content carefully in order to avoid long content.
- A blogger must organize the content according to its audience’s need; avoiding unneeded information and overload its fluency. Be clear, concise and direct.
- A blogger should maintain a writing style as simple as possible, trying to catch the readers’ attention from the beginning; starting with the conclusion (Inverted Pyramid); Including, who, what, where when, why, and how (DM Consulting Services); and stating only one idea per paragraph (DM Consulting Services).
- A blogger must use simple language; provide context; parallel construction (consistent patterns); use coherent fragments but not telegraphic writing (DM Consulting Services).
Personally, these are part of the requirements or the best practices that should exist when creating a blog to ensure appropriate form, function, and substance.
2. How has your chosen blog met or not met these “best practices”?
After navigating into several blogs related to topics of my interest including Health (exercises and yoga), Environment, Corporate Social Responsibilities, and others; I decided to go with one that caught my attention while reading and was very rewarding in terms of the content. The selected blog was related to Social responsibility, and the link is http://www.theenvironmentalblog.org/.
Analyzing the blog content and comparing it with the best practices recommendations, we can conclude in the following:
- Provides substantial content.
- Even with the complexity of the topic ( sciences) they used simple language; making the content suitable to any level of audience.
- The writing style is complex; they do not introduce with an inverted pyramid, they used traditional academic writing – not a recommended way to write for the web (DM Consulting Services)
- The content is not current; the blogger do not frequently write, the last blog was about mid-2014.
- Allows the audiences share the content by using social media; linking the blog to accounts it FB, Tweeter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and others.
- Allows a two-way interaction; the audiences have the chance to express their opinions.
- The blogger posted ads on the blog.
- The blog presented a professional theme, has a designed logo, and the name of it reflect the type of content analyzed. The blog is visually appealing, easy to navigate and to seek information.
- The blogger uses words that the targeted audiences used; the blogger use consistent patterns in the way the information is written; the blogger uses metadata; and, the blogger highlights keywords.
- The format is easy to understand, by quickly seeing the page you can identify what is all about.
These lines encompass the opinion that I give to the blog content concerning the best practices blog guidelines.
3. Additionally, complete a self-assessment of your blog. How does your blog compare to the “best practices”? What are some elements you can improve upon? What are you doing well?
After continued reading, analyzing and evaluating all the assigned lectures of this week I recognize that my blog need to go through profound and intense changes; not only the visual part but also the essence of the content. It is fair say that the original purpose of this personal blog was to meet the requirements for this class; but, now knowing the vast uses and its application the objective would be other, so a radical change must be applied. In the beginning, this few steps should be the first to be taken.
First of all a redefinition of the content is mandatory; the “personality” of the blog needs to be reinvented; the definition of the purpose must be clarified.
Second, after considering if the blog would be used or not permanently, an investment will be necessary for the visual part; including logo, information distribution (layout), style, and others visual elements.
Third, the blog should offer links to similar info, to social media, or to web pages that support the content posted.
Fourth, the creation of proper headlines; highlight keywords; use bullets points and numerals; concentrate only one idea per paragraph; redefine content in order to be more clear, concise and direct; provide context and apply tactics like parallel construction, inverted pyramid, sentence fragment and metadata; must be acquired.
Fifth and finally in this five initial steps: the strategy of the blog; the selection of the efficiency measurement’s elements; the ways to obtain feedback for new ideas; researching and learning the blog’s market related to our main topic; and the personal code of conduct it will be followed (until a general code of conduct is approved); they must all be defined.
4. As a blogger, if there were official “Blogger’s Code of Conduct,” would you read it, follows it, and finds it useful?
As expressed in other assigned work, I am strongly identified with the idea of being attached to a Code of Conduct; no matter in what kind of business people are, everyone should be instructed by a full guideline which helps in having and maintaining an appropriate work behavior. A standard guideline will provide the required tools to avoid bias, misleading information and will guide everyone by the same rules.
Also, the people attached to a Code of Conduct will add credibility to its jobs; will give a higher level to its blog; will stand out from the crowd market, from the unprofessional and untrained bloggers (Burton & Greenstein, 2009).
Particularly I will read it and even more I will try to insert the standards measures into my blogs, following each of them and ensuring the complete fulfillment of its use. I think a Code of Conduct would be an extremely useful tool which will help in improving the quality and accuracy of my blogs and will allow me to avoid unethical behavior and general misconduct.
Burton, B., & Greenstein, L. (2009). WordPress. Retrieved 2015, from WordPress: https://foodethics.wordpress.com/
DAILY BLOG TIPS. (2011). Retrieved 2015, from DAILY BLOG TIPS: http://www.dailyblogtips.com/steps-to-successful-blog/
DM Consulting Services. (n.d.). uakron. Retrieved January 2015, from http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/docs/dm_webwriting.pdf
Rowse, D. (2014). PROBLOGGER. Retrieved January 2015, from PROBLOGGER: http://www.problogger.net/archives/2014/03/05/beginner-week-my-43-dos-and-25-donts-of-blogging/
Southern New Hampshire University. (2013). Southern New Hampshire University. Retrieved January 2015, from Southern New Hampshire University: https://bb.snhu.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-4783082-dt-content-rid-10108913_1/courses/COM-510-15TW2-MASTER/COM-510-14TW2-MASTER_ImportedContent_20131105030838/com_510_module7_overview.pdf