8-2 Blog: Multimedia Tools
1. How does multimedia enhance our messaging?
When we refer to multimedia tools, we have to relate it to the means by which this transference can be accomplished (Southern New Hampshire University,, 2013). The delivery of a message can be improved by using a variety of multimedia for several reasons; the top five of them are:
First, allows bringing the info to a wider audience. If your targeted audience does not like to read you will have the chance to reach them by videos, audio o pictures.
Second, you will provide a visually appealing content when combining multiple types of multimedia tools. Multimedia content is much more visually appealing to a website visitor (Smith, 2013)
Third, multimedia enhances messaging by grabbing your readers’ attention; any complement tools which support your point of view, will be worth it.
Fourth, multimedia might increase the traffic to your site by using search engines and implementing on-page SEO factors (Smith, 2013)
Fifth, include images/pictures, slideshows, video or audio to your site not only makes your content more visually appealing but also helps with SEO and can encourage people to share your content on social media. (Smith, 2013)
2. Are certain multimedia techniques more effective than others?
From my point of view, after reading the assigned lectures and personal pre-conceptions the effectiveness of the multimedia tools will depend primarily on the purpose of the site presenting it. The audience is a primary factor to consider when assembling a multimedia (Southern New Hampshire University,, 2013) site.
According to Shyam Sundar in its “Multimedia effects on processing and perception of online news” study; certain multimedia techniques are most effective than others.
The analyzed study includes five multimedia tools, combining them differently: text only; text with picture; text and audio; text, picture, and sound; and finally the text, video, audio and video. The analysis and the investigation were made mainly to measure the effectiveness of these multimedia tools on a news site. The conclusion revealed strategic information for stakeholders, including sites’ administrators or content creators, advertisers, and multimedia’s researchers.
In order to determine which multimedia tools to use – for its effectiveness – I highlighted the essentiality of the results; the ones that need to be taking into consideration when defining what kind of multimedia tools use on a website.
- If you are an advertiser and you want your ad to be recognized among your target audiences, you should include it in sites that use audio or video as multimedia tools.
- If you are the site’s administrator, before using a multimedia tool, you should evaluate first your purpose on that site in order to take a proper decision.
- If you want the audiences to be focused and aware of what they are reading, you should reduce or avoid audio and video multimedia tools; your focus must be a combination of text and pictures.
- If you are the site’s administrator and your purpose is motivating the revisit, the uses of audio and video will motivate this target. The use of text only must be avoided.
- If you want to accomplish high appreciation related to the site’s design and coherence, the use of pictures and text (together) are the first in multimedia tool that would help in achieving both purposes; second, the videos for site’s design and text only for coherence. Avoids video and picture / audio (together) if you preferred to be perceived as Coherent.
- Video downloads hinder memory for news stories but enhance memories for advertisements on a site. (Sundar, 2000)
- Downloads audio reduce memory for story but increase memory for advertisement (Sundar, 2000).
- Downloads audio result in an adverse evaluation of a site’s coherence and the journalistic quality of the history (Sundar, 2000).
- Audio downloads, when using together with pictures, can have an adverse effect on the users’ perception of the site and its content (Sundar, 2000).
- The addition of pictures to text appears to have a positive effect overall. (Sundar, 2000)
- The addition of audio and video may cause distraction (Sundar, 2000); the strategy is in choose carefully the composition of the elements to obtain the desired effect on the target audience (Southern New Hampshire University,, 2013).
Those are the multimedia characteristics which one needs to take into consideration in order to make the most of its benefits. Again, each multimedia tools work, but its application will be more useful than others; will depend on the purpose of the site – its use will be different.
3. To support your argument, provide examples of at least two sites (link to them) that use multimedia elements and explain why they are/aren’t effective.
The use of multimedia elements in Southern New Hampshire University’s web pages is applied in an effective way. The principal reasons are:
- They use text and pictures primarily in order to concentrate the attention on the content.
- They use interactive multimedia in order to obtain two-way dialog between the reader and them.
- They avoid sounds and videos to concentrate attention on the most important issue into a web page like this, the content.
- The page is not overloaded with info / picture distribution. It is easy to navigate and find the info you desire promptly.
- They link their content to social media tools.
- It is visually appealing, does not have big reading text sections, and is interesting and pleasant.
- They link to other sites of interest.
The use of multimedia elements in CNN’s web pages is applied in an effective way. The principal reasons are:
- They mainly communicate by videos, then by content with pictures.
- They, as a profit company, provide the ads publication inside the videos; this allows the advertiser to get their ads recognized by their target audiences.
- One of the primary strategies for news websites motivate the revisit; the uses of audio and video will motivate this purpose. As the link demonstrates they use audio and video primarily, also avoiding the use of text only.
- They are visually appealing.
- They link to social media tools; motivates by this the traffic into this page.
- They motivate the navigation to its page by including images, videos, slideshows and others types of content.
- They link to other sources of related information.
Smith, M. (2013, March). Benchmark. Retrieved January 2015, from http://www.benchmarkemail.com/blogs/detail/why-multimedia-blog-content-is-good-for-your-site
Southern New Hampshire University,. (2013). Retrieved 2015 January , from Southern New Hampshire University,: https://bb.snhu.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-4783091-dt-content-rid-10108920_1/courses/COM-510-15TW2-MASTER/COM-510-14TW2-MASTER_ImportedContent_20131105030838/com_510_module8_overview.pdf
Sundar, S. S. (2000). Multimedia effects on processing and perception of online news: A study of picture, audio, and video downloads. Retrieved 2015 January, from http://www.journalism.wisc.edu/~dshah/blog-club/site/Sundar.pdf