1. Re-read your original post and indicate whether or not your views have changed.
My point of view in that moment, about if media’s power can shape beliefs, is summarized by the following:
- Media make me evaluate and rethink deeply about the tendencies, situations, and changes in comparison to my personal conceptions and thoughts of a particular subject.
- The impact of media will depend in the audiences’ values, education, experiences and other factors. From this point, belief can be changed or not.
- The influence of media in people perspective and behavior is undeniable; its impact is substantial and frequently is very difficult avoiding changes or readjustments in our personal beliefs in front of media
- Media, contribute in shaping the personal beliefs. (Southern New Hampshire University, 2013)
- It is more challenging being cautious and analytical in front of how media is coming to us.
- Big conglomerates have the power in shaping our opinions and influence our decisions.
- It is important to be aware and look at things from a different perspective from the medium (Curtis, 2012)
- The influence of media will depend on the conception of life, beliefs, education, experiences, culture one has.
- The influence of media can be positive and negative; it will depend on the subject and the valuation of it.
- The personality and the personal characteristics of each is different, so the effects will be different in each case.
Let me start by saying that I agree with some of these viewpoints; they give and overall point of view about the influence that media has on people on audiences. However, now the response can be presented in a widely and more comprehensive way due to the new knowledge acquired in the last ten weeks. Mainly the differences between my thoughts in that moment and now rely in these following aspects:
- The impact of media will depend mostly in how we empower ourselves, as media’s user, on investigating sources and following only the checked and credible ones.
- The media power to shape belief will not depend primarily in the values or experiences we have; in this new media age, people without personal experience, particular values or individual education may be more in control over the media power if they learn its essentiality and more important how to handle it.
- An important aspect is to recognize the techniques and writing method used in new media to persuade the readers; also, the effect of multimedia tools in us as a consumer. If we recognize all of these tactics, the impact of new media will be in our control, our behavior and our response to them will be different.
- As I said before big conglomerates will have the power in shaping our opinions and influence our decisions; but only if we let them to do so. If we take control, and do our part by investigating and by giving the proper use to media tools, everything will be different.
- Reliable, accurate and responsible sources will be essential in order to avoid a misleading influenced by the power of media. It is important to be aware and look at things from a different perspective from the medium (Curtis, 2012)
- The influence of media will depend in how one lets them have the authority in doing so; the conception of life, beliefs, education, experiences, culture not necessarily mean that the media will impact more or not on you. If you take the control by knowing them, the impact and the influence will be different.
- The positivity or the negativity of media’s influence will depend in the giving valuation by a previous investigation.
2. Additionally, explain what role you believe writers play in the dissemination of information, the power they hold to influence beliefs, and the importance for them to act in ethical ways. What is the danger when writers do not act ethically? Who is in danger?
The ordinary people in our society do not understand everything we have learned in this course; by this, it is important reaffirm that the majority of people rely on what internet said. In addition, the amount of internet’s users that consider Internet as a trustful and reliable source of information has grown significantly (Vis, 2014).
In this matter, regular people are not conscious about the media’s effect can have in their lives; not everyone is prepared intellectually with the proper tools to recognize media’s techniques to influence and persuade our beliefs.
Accordingly, writers play an essential role in influencing the beliefs; they can have a substantial impact in people and entire communities and societies. The writers’ techniques can increase the dissemination of information, can change the stability of a nation, and can cause profound harm or benefit to them.
To professional or amateurish writers following an ethics’ guidelines or a code of ethics is not only a plus is a necessity. In this current overloaded new media environment, identify trustful and accurate sources by the audiences is very difficult, and also for the writer can be very hard to identify when they are being ethical or not.
For a writer, there are multiple reasons why following a guideline of ethics or a code of ethics is important in their work. As stated in previous analysis, some of the reasons are:
- The writer can become to a more reliable writer by the reader.
- For the writer, it will be harder to make ethical mistakes; now they will have explicit parameters in order to avoid mistakes.
- Writers can avoid misconduct by tacitly recognize what can be misunderstand.
- The author can provide confidence to the reader, by showing that the writer is ruled by a Code of Ethic.
- The writers can avoid being labeled unfairly by reader because of the growing unprofessional writers.
- Being part or remain attached to an Ethics Code can be an important sign of differentiation between the professional and non-professional content writers.
- Being part of a higher standard group stands out your job.
- The writer can be transparent; giving the proper information to the readers for them to identify if there is a bias in the content.
Finally, as expressed in the beginning of this entry; among the dangers when writers act unethical we can find:
- Can harm deeply a whole society.
- Can destroy lives.
- Can terminate with the stability in the course of a country.
The power of a pen or in this case the computer’s keys can be underestimated; an unethical behavior when writing can be as destructive or edifying as the original intention; and all of us are the ones which are in danger; even if we are aware of what we have learned, due to the other people’s actions in response of their ignorance.
3. Does becoming “media literate” reduce or eliminate the potential for content consumers to be influenced?
Becoming media literate allows us to be aware of media’s influences, characteristics, technics, persuasion tools, effects, and much more.
Being a media literate reduces the potential impact on content consumer significantly. As I expressed in the developing of the above questions; having media literacy give you the power and the control of content in your life, in your work, in your family’s or friend’s relationship, in your day to day behavior, in any aspects of your life.
By having media literacy you:
- Will can access, analyze, evaluate and create media messages (Media Literacy Project).
- Will have the tools to create our media (Media Literacy Project).
- Will have the control in identifying who is the author of a media message.
- Will can recognize what the media maker wants us to believe or do.
- Will can recognize bias.
- Will create and distribute our media messages.
- Will recognize the part of the story that I not being told.
- Will have the tools that help in developing a critical thinking and an active participation in our media culture (Media Literacy Project).
- One will be empowered, and also our communities to tell our stories share their perspectives and work for justice (Media Literacy Project).
- One will can recognize the language of persuasion; the techniques and the way to identifying it (Media Literacy Project).
- One will have the right tools to deconstructing a media message (can decode a message) (Media Literacy Project).
- One will have the right tools to go beyond the frame.
Burton, B., & Greensein, L. (2009). Food Blog Code of Ethics. Retrieved January 2015, from Food Blog Code of Ethics: https://foodethics.wordpress.com/
Curtis, D. A. (2012, June). Retrieved November 2014, from http://www2.uncp.edu/home/acurtis/Courses/ResourcesForCourses/PDFs/Mass_Media_Influence_on_Society.pdf
Media Literacy Project. (n.d.). Media Literacy Project. Retrieved January 2015, from Media Literacy Project: https://medialiteracyproject.org/sites/default/files/resources/Intro_to_Media_Literacy.pdf
Southern New Hampshire University. (2013). Retrieved November 2014, from https://bb.snhu.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-4783030-dt-content-rid-10107987_1/courses/COM-510-15TW2-MASTER/COM-510-14TW2-MASTER_ImportedContent_20131105030838/com_510_module1_overview.pdf
Vis, F. (2014, April). Social Science Space. Retrieved January 2014, from Social Science Space: http://www.socialsciencespace.com/2014/04/how-does-false-information-spread-online/